Real vs fake wedding flowers – which is the better option
Weddings are expensive, there’s no getting around that fact. You have to pay for the venue, the food, the drinks, and the list goes on. While you can use fake flowers in place of real flowers to save money on some parts of your wedding day, the question is, should you? In this post, we’ll shed some light on the topic to help you decide.
While you can get some very real-looking fake flowers, you can’t beat the aroma, the touch and the authenticity of real flowers
Real flowers can be expensive however, there’s no denying that they smell better than their artificial counterparts for obvious reasons – they don’t have any scent. Also because there are so many varieties available in nature, you can find almost any colour or shape you want at a flower shop meaning your options are endless.
Let’s compare the two by looking at their pros and cons
Pros of fake wedding flowers
- Fake flowers can be cheaper than real flowers
- They are more durable and easier to maintain
- Fake flowers can be easier on your budget as well as more practical for setting up at different locations during the day. The same goes for outdoor events–you don’t want real flowers getting ruined by rain or wind! You also don’t have to worry about wilting or dying off quickly because they’re not alive like real ones are; instead, they’ll stay looking fresh for the duration of the day.
Cons of fake wedding flowers
- You can’t always trust the quality of your fake flowers especially if you are buying them online
- Not all fake flowers are biodegradable, which means they may not be as eco-friendly as you’d like them to be
Some fake flowers can look cheap and this can detract from the overall luxury of your wedding day
You may have seen some fake flowers that look cheap and tacky, which can detract from the overall luxury of your wedding day. Although, there are ways to use fake flowers without compromising on their look and feel. A combination of real and fake flowers is an effective way to save money without compromising on the real flower look, feel and smell.
Pros of real wedding flowers
- Real flowers are more fragrant.
- Real flowers are more environmentally friendly.
- You can choose your favourite flowers for your wedding with no restrictions on the type or colour, as long as they’re in season at the time of your wedding.
Cons of real flowers
- Some flowers are in season only for a short time. If you choose to use fresh flowers, you’ll have to plan your wedding around what’s available.
- Some flowers are expensive and hard to maintain. Real flowers can be costly and require careful maintenance. For example, if you have an outdoor wedding and want real lilies, they’ll need to be refrigerated or transported with ice packs until they arrive at the venue so they don’t die on your big day! Some flower types don’t tolerate the hot or humidity well so this will need to be considered when making your selections. The same applies to cold or frost.
- Not all locations have access to certain types of real flower arrangements (e.g., tropical plants). You may find yourself limited by what local florists can provide in terms of their stock or at least paying more than usual because of the shipping costs involved with importing exotic species from faraway lands.
Real flowers can be expensive and very hard to maintain while they last
Real flowers are expensive and very hard to maintain while they last. Most of the time, real flowers will cost you more than fake ones. You have to make sure that your real flowers are fresh otherwise they can wilt easily if not cared for properly. Real flowers are also prone to damage from wind, rain, or other harsh weather conditions which can ruin them quickly if not arranged by someone who knows what they’re doing!
Not all of your favourite flowers may be in season at the time of your wedding
Not all of your favourite wedding flowers may be in season at the time of your wedding. For example, if you love peonies but they’re not in bloom during June, using real ones for your bouquet can become costly and they may not be of the best quality. You could make do with other options that are available at this time of year that look very similar and are in season.
In addition to this, some flowers are only available for a short period of time so it’s important to check whether or not certain flowers are currently in season where you live before making any decisions about what type of bouquets or centrepieces will feature on the big day.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that some of the bridal party may have allergies which could mean they can’t wear certain types of blooms on their attire – fake versions could help solve this problem!
Combining real and fake flowers is an effective way to save money without compromising on the real flower look, feel and smell
There’s no denying that real flowers are beautiful and add a touch of elegance to any wedding. However, they can be quite expensive and if you’re on a tight budget, this can be a problem. Fortunately, there is another option: fake flowers! While it might seem like an easy choice between the two options (real vs fake), there are actually benefits to combining both types of flowers in your bouquet or centrepieces for your big day. You can save some serious money by incorporating fake blooms.
Talk to a professional florist
The best way to make sure that your flowers are the right choice for you is by researching bouquet and wedding flower arrangements and collaborating with a floral expert that specialises in wedding floristry. They will be able to give you plenty of options based on your budget and specific requirements to create a show-stopping display for your wedding, whether that’s real, fake or both! At Mrs Gibbons Flowers, we are floral stylists and we create impeccable floral arrangements that encapsulate your wedding vision. Check out our website for more information.